4/22/2007

Maine: The quiet state


My parents did what most people in MA seem to do when they retire.... move to Maine.
Now, at first I thought they were crazy and wouldn't catch me up there,
except for summer visits to the ocean. They built their own log cabin on and carved out a home on a rocky piece of land in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, literally. Well, I think the folks of Sullivan would not agree with me, but city folk sure would.

They live about an hour from Bar Harbor and in a very rural area. Don't make me go off on my new definition of rural, that's another story ( one with chickens in the front yard next to the half a bus,7
Christmas inflatables, 87 yard toys and perhaps a house, I am still not sure...but I digress...)

Where they live is quite
beautiful and all who live on Lake Tunk take pride in their property. Mainers are as friendly as their reputation and that makes them as close to aliens as you can get, in my book. My parents live there because its quiet and peaceful and because my Mom has MS .....(and) this is a really nice place to be "marooned" if you know what happens with progressive MS. The house is wheelchair heaven and makes an excellent visiting spot for all family and friends.

In fact, the past five years has won me over. I love Maine, I really do. Exploring, eating,
relaxing,talking to "folks", antiquing, and generally just appreciating the passing of time is a sweet escape. Now, I get lost in the fresh air, seaside moments and hunting out vintage goodies up there, but I am always glad to return to the hustle and bustle of my metropolitan life style.

But, if your going about 5-6 hours up to the "
Down East area", call me, I know some great places you should go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gaspe! you don't mention how your little pathetic cousins live in maine too! HI! it's Emily! i just wanted to tell you that i FINALLY got around to visiting your site, AND i am IN LOVE WITH IT! your stuff is so amazingly creative and cute! And fin got so big! He's so grown up now, i feel so old... (lol)

anyway, i just wanted to say hi. email me @ randimochica@yahoo.com, okay? I'd love to hear from you!
Bye!

Anonymous said...

oopsy. double posted. sorry.