9/29/2008

Apples, Apples, and more Apples

No doubt, its time to either get your Orchard time in or figure out what to do with all the apples you picked over the weekend, right? I was thinking about more than just crisps and pies this year and wanted to share what came up with.

The first one is a bit off beat,but its a wonderful school-hood memory for me. I was lucky enough to have my favorite teacher twice, as she switched grades. Ms. Abraham was this quirky lady who wore too much mascara, and was tough on us, but I loved her just the same. She had our class do this "creative writing project" that centered around...check this - Apple Head Dolls. Not heard of them? They are an old Americana craft, believed to go back to early Indian tribes.

I was going to try my hand at a tutorial, but I found a great resource and instruction site:
Apple Dolls. Org. This should at least give you ideas, should you want to try it.





Next, I found the new recipe that I am most interested in trying, its simple so it wins:

Baked Apples with Mexican Chocolate - and its Martha, of course. ( It's Halloween, so I am pretty much devouring her site right now. There is this soo cool Jelly Fish costume....I digress...)

Ingredients

Serves 4

  • 2 medium apples
  • 5 large marshmallows, 1 quartered, 4 halved crosswise
  • 1 ounce Mexican chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Halve each apple lengthwise. Using a melon baller or grapefruit spoon, scoop out seeds, forming a small crater in center of each half.
  2. Fill each crater with 1 marshmallow quarter and 1/4 of the chocolate. Cut 2 tablespoons butter into small pieces, and divide among apples, placing over chocolate.
  3. Place water and remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a baking dish. Place filled apples in dish. Bake until a paring knife inserted into apples meets no resistance, 20 to 30 minutes.
  4. Set oven to broil. Top each apple half with 2 marshmallow halves. Broil until golden brown. Drizzle with juices.

Helpful Hint

Cooking times for different types of apples vary; begin checking for doneness after 20 minutes.

PS. Mexican chocolate is that round, individually wrapped package that says drink mix or hot chocolate on it. It smells amazing!( I know Whole Foods has it.)

**Please email let me know if you have any really awesome apple recipes or crafts to share, as my son has the day off from school tomorrow - and guess where we are going?

Happy Monday, Jennifer :)

No comments: